Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Things We Do To Find Love...



Wow!

I know I haven't been blogging much lately, but I had to share:

Most of you are aware of my love life and how scarce and random it is. Well I decided going to clubs/bars and online dating is not enough. I would need more drastic measures if I'm gonna find someone who ACTUALLY wants to be with me.

I decided to try a matchmaking service. I found one through Google that wasn't too far from where I live. I interviewed with one of their employees over the phone. She was cool, we chatted and everything and she asked if I could come in for a consultation. I don't like to waste people's time (most of all mine) and I know I'm not by any means financial well off enough to say "money is no object". SO I asked her how much the service costs. She gave me the song and dance about how they customize it to the person and if you really want it, they'll tailor it to your needs, blah blah blah. So I thought okay, maybe it'll be like $500. Still don't really wanna pay that much, but it may be worth it, so I'll go in for the consultation.

I leave work and head over to the place. i get a voicemail from them saying "Oh, it's after seven, so it's okay for you to park in the garage below.", cool.

So I got down to the parking garage, where an attendant is standing there getting the tickets for the drivers. he hands me mine and I say "It's after seven, so I won't have to pay for parking right?" and he says "No, you do, It's $7 every half hour." Whoa whoa whoa, so I pull forward and pull over to a spot where I call the company I'm there to see.

Me: They're saying it's going to cost $28 to park

Them: Oh no, we'll validate you, just get your parking ticket!

Me: Okay!

So I proceed to park. I go upstairs and check in with security. He tells me to go to the first elevator. I get in the elevator and the floor I need to go on is already pushed. There's no one in the elevator, he did it from the security desk! So now I'm thinking these people are serious if they can afford a suite in a place like this, it's gotta be expensive! But I keep on truckin'!

I make my way there and the woman who I consult with is cool. She's nice, she's got good stuff to say, it's seems all good. Then we get to how much membership is. She's not hearing me about not knowing if I have the money. Literally she kept saying she was confused, like it didn't compute that I didn't have $500 to PUT DOWN (NOT pay in full!) on this membership. They were gonna give me the lowest costing one and let me put money down then make payments. $1500 was a lot, but from what she told me, it almost seemed worth a shot, so I was seriously going to consider it. But I could tell she was a little annoyed that I wasn't going to join right then and there. I'm sorry but I don't just have $1500 lying around to spend on whatever, this was something I would have to think about, but I was going to think about it!

So I leave and get to my car. I pull up to the gate to leave and put in my ticket. It says I have to pay $28, WTH??! So I pull back out and go back upstairs to try and catch her before she leaves. I call the number, i get their voicemail. I call and call. I finally get a person. She says she'll try to get the woman I spoke with. I'm already almost in tears cuz this is not boding well for me. She gets back on the phone:

Woman: She says she didn't validate because we only validate for members. So if you had bought the membership, we would have validated!

SERIOUSLY?!?! What the hell?!? Don't panic!

Me: They didn't tell me that.

Woman: They didn't? I always end with only if you buy a membership.

Me: Well they did not.

Woman: WHo did you speak to?

Me: "so-and-so" and "so-and-so"

Woman: I'm their manager, they should have said something. Well I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do.

Me: Okay.

So I'm pissed at this point. my problem is, when I get pissed I also cry. If I'm this upset where I have to actually say something or demand something, I get very teary which frustrates the heck out of me! So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I get back in my car and call my mom so she can help me to calm down.

I drive to the gate again (while on the phone with her). I press the button to speak with someone.

Me: I can't get out.

Security: You have to pay.

Me: i don't have any way to pay.

Security: Stand by.

(pause)

Security: Yeah, there's nothing we can do, you can call someone and ask them to bring you money.

Oh Heeeeellllll no!

Me: So I just have to sit here all night?

Security; Stand by.

(Pause)

Supervisor comes out with a total attitude.

Me: I don't have money to pay (I didn't have $28 to pay for parking that I was not expecting to have to pay), they told me I wouldn't have to pay for parking.

Supervisor: Well that's not our problem.

Me: So I could just sit in here all night?

Supervisor: Yeah, you can find a spot and park over there. But you need to move because people behind you need to get out.

Oh. My. God. If I wasn't thinking about how crappy it would be for those people to be stuck cuz I was having issues, I would not have budged. But I thought about how upset i would be if I got off worked and just wanted to go home and had to deal with this, so I moved to let other people out.

I was still on the phone with my mom. I thought about just paying the money, but then i thought, no this is ridiculous. This isn't my fault, why should I have to pay. So i was preparing in my mind to spend the night in the parking garage. By now my mom had called my dad and told me he was on his way. He was gonna raise a fuss! He was in the car driving to where I was (I love my parents!). So he's on the phone with me, telling em to just block the way. And I told him I wasn't strong enough for that, I would just end up moving. Then he said to wait til he got there.

I'm waiting for him to get there, when this car pulls up to leave, and the woman driving looks at me and asks if I'm okay. I tell her they won't let me out and I don't have validation. She asks if I'm "Genellyn". I say yeah and she says she's the woman I had been talking to before about the validation. Then she says she'll get me out. So she goes to the intercom and they say they can't let me out cuz the machine won't let them or something. Then she comes back and she says she will pay for me to get out. So I said thank you and she said "if someone asks you for something, you gotta do it!"

It was nice of her, because she could have let me sit there, but I was thinking, it seemed appropriate since it was her company that got me into the situation. And she can be reimbursed. Then she said "And don't feel like you have to go with our service just because I'm doing this!"

Uhhh, yeah like that was what I was gonna do....I had already told her I wasn't going to go with their service because of this. This is a really crappy way to treat a potential client.

So I flew out of there like a bat out of hell and made my way home. My dad went back home, he wouldn't get off the phone til I was out of there, and we ended up talking til I got home.

So that was my night. How was yours?


48 comments:

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a Happy Wendesday!!!! :)

Unknown said...

That was horrible. I can't believe they did that. Stopping by from SITS!

Jen said...

oh my goodness. i had a similar situation to that once....but yours is actually much worse! But...atleast you got a story out of it!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a story... And $1,500 for a dating service? How ridiculous. OMG.

Unknown said...

haha oh man that's crazy.

i hate businesses like those. it seems like 90% of all the gyms around here too :p

i'm glad you got out though. $28 is effing ridiculous! i am truly sorry about your frustrating night but i had to laugh at some parts too.

you know how to tell a story! :)

Unknown said...

that is so crazy!! what a crapy company!!! Good thing your didnt have to pay!

Duke Fandango said...

I always get a little freaked out by these kind of services...it seems really invasive.

Glad you got out of there with all your cash in hand.

V said...

Crap like that always seems to work out for me, and it looks like it does for you too. :)

New to your blog <3

Christie Love said...

Lol- I thought i was the only one that had things like getting stuck in parking garages happen to them. :) Happy Sits day!

Sarah With Scissors said...

I would have been the woman making a very big scene... or I would have also been calling my dad... Dad's are awesome. I'm glad you got out of there.

Stopping by from SITS

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from SITS

Sounds like at least she did her "customer service responsibility" for you though as she could have taken the attitude of everyone else, and just gone "Tough" like the company she worked for does, and that she probably gathered you wouldn't want to have anything to do with them after that traumatising experience!
The whole set up seemed dodgy... its awful how companies take advantage of a gals hope for love!

Pria said...

Thats quite a night u had ...Happy SITS day to u ..

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Stopping by from SITS for your Feature Day. Wow. What a horrible experience. I believe in karma though, so I have a feeling it'll all work out in the end.

cat said...

Now that's a horror story. And a huge money making venture if you ask me.

Unknown said...

Oh my god - what a bunch of CON ARTISTS!!!!! That story made my blood boil! I'm so glad you stood your ground and didn't pay up - good for you!!!!

Elizabeth D. said...

Yikes, what a mess! I'm a crier when I get pissed off too. It's so hard to convey that you're pissed when you're crying, isn't it? I hate that. At least your story had a relatively good ending and you got out of the parking garage in one piece!

Pregosaur said...

OMG what an awful day! I'm glad you didn't pay - I think it's only right that if you were told it would be covered by the company, then it should have been (it wasn't your fault that the woman didn't say "if you buy the membership"). And what awesome parents you have!

Louise | Italy said...

The salesgirl was angry with you when you dithered because unless you sign on the line she doesn't get paid. And you could have been her only deal all night! I hate those kinds of outfits!
Glad you made it outta there in the end!

LisaDay said...

That is an awful story. How dare they treat someone like that.

And I, too, cry when I am upset. It is so frustrating.

Good luck in your search.

Happy SITS day.

LisaDay

Heather said...

Stopping by from SITS. Happy SITS day. I know this is an older post, but man, if I didn't get upset reading it. What a bunch of assholes. Can I swear here? I thought it was called for. Great blog, enjoy your special day! And stay away from those jerks!!

Laura said...

I don't know what is more ridiculous...charging $1500 for a dating service or charging $7 a half hour to park. I'm in Mississippi & it's only .50 a half hour to park anywhere. I always heard the cost of living is higher in Cali. Now I believe it.

Happy SITS Day!

Anonymous said...

I love that you called your mom. My 26-year-old daughter would do exactly the same. She and I blog together (with her two sisters as well). They sound a lot like you.
Nice to "virtually" meet you, SITStah.

Yankee Girl said...

First of all, Happy SITS day!

Second, I am so glad that there are still some nice people in the world willing to lend a hand...or $28.

Third, what a crappy way to run a business! I cannot believe that they wouldn't validate you because you didn't pay for the service! That is totally insane. I would have cried too.

Fourth, I call my mom whenever I am having some sort of freakout. At 28 years old, there are still some things that only my mom can fix. Or my dad. He is big and looks scary and can make anyone do anything he wants. And he is a fire-spitting dragon when it comes to his daughters.

I really like you blog. I think I may have to follow!

Jennifer Vanderbeek said...

Wow, that's just crazy-making right there!

I saw from your previous post that you're into Chuck and all--if you're the geeky sort there's a dating site you might like (soulgeek.com) that's based in your area and they do singles mixers every month. I found my guy through the site and we've been together 2+ years now :)

Good luck, hon!

Young Wife said...

Oh. My. Gosh. How awful! I can't stand it when people won't tell you how much it's going to cost. Glad the lady paid for you to get out! Stopping by from SITS.

Unknown said...

$7 per 1/2 HOUR of parking?! I hope that comes with car detailing! I'm glad the ordeal was resolved w/o you having to pay.
happy SITS day!

KimMalk said...

That's amazingly bad luck. I'm glad the woman paid your way out. Can you imagine spending the night there???

Marie said...

I think there are other ways to find a man. ;)

Joann Mannix said...

Hi Happy, happy SITS day!

That is the most ridiculous story and what a slap in the face at the end when she said don't feel you have to go with their service because she paid your way out. She should have done that in the first place! And what an outrageous fee. I think that Millionaire Matchmaker charges less than that. Smart move, not looking back.

Unknown said...

Oh you poor thing! That ranks up there with Worst. Day. Ever. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I hate when places don't give you the full story!

SimplySandi said...

Stopping by from SITS. Wow.. just reading this story frustrates me.. it was like i was right there with you. I'm glad the woman redeemed herself, but I would never do business with them.

Tiffany said...

Holy Cow!!! That's not a way to get you on board. And I do the same thing...cry when I'm angry or frustrated. I hate it!

Krista said...

I hate that I cry when I'm angry, too. Glad to know there are others that do that too! There has to be an easier way to get a date! You're so darn darlin' I'm sure you will find Mr. Right soon enough. Great post - sucks to be in that situation though!

Patricia said...

good grief. I can't believe they were like that and the guy was gonna let you sit there all night? I cry too when I'm angry. It totally sucks.

I'm glad you got out of there!

Nice to know what great parents you have!!!

Hope your love life picks up!

Happy SITS day!

Joy@TPMG said...

I can't believe that they would have let you sit there all night. I would have cried to thinking that I would be stuck there. It sounds like you have awesome supportive parents.

debi said...

WOW. That's a crazy story. What a way to win over a potential client. WTF!!

Unknown said...

from SITS. Glad you had a place here to get that off your chest. How horrible!

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

Happy SITS Day! Your story takes me back to the days of being single. Your title says it all. It's a great story. BUT try this BEFORE you join a matchmaking service.

Do the things you love. First, it makes you feel better. Psychologically and physically you're more relaxed. Emotionally you're feel less desperate.


What do you like to do? Look at art? Hike? Write? Join a club to do one of those and see who you meet.

You'll have fun and might meet a few guys. Oh, and always ask everyone you know and new people, who do you know that's single that I might like?

Have fun!

Serendipity said...

Well done for holding your ground. Your dad sounds awesome!

Tanya said...

Geeshhh . what jerks!

Not a nice way to get and keep clients. I wonder how they stay in business.

Tanya @ thelocal.com.br

Carrie said...

I get the same way when I am frustrated or angry: I start to cry. Its so annoying!

Happy SITS day

Marit Bockelie said...

happy sits day girl,
i'm so there with the crying when pissed thing. and i hate it! i've gotten better over the years but it's hard to hold it in when you feel like you've just been totally wronged and there's nothing you can do about it. argh. i loved reading this post, just to know i'm not the only one who deals with ridiculously crazy things in her life. :) nice to meet you!
~ marit

April said...

That's terrible! They should've paid in the 1st place because they made the mistake. HORRIBLE customer service.

MommieDaze said...

What a horrible company! I'd definitely take my business elsewhere.

Unknown said...

That is a freaking lot of money! I am SO glad you didn't go with it. And I AM SO GLAD that the lady paid for you to get out. That is pure craziness. Especially since you called before you went in and asked about the parking fee. What creepazoids!

cheri said...

that was horrible! that was one of the worst potential customer service ever! i hope you got over it.

happy SITS day :)

Megan said...

Dude! That's just CRAZY!! WTH?! Glad you finally got out of there. Jeez!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Copyright

Bella.Pazzo.Vita. Copyright 2009. If there is an image in this blog that you own, contact me and I will remove it promptly, thank you!